Thursday, June 28, 2007

Summer of Code Update

This post is somewhat delayed, for a variety of reasons, and from today I'll hopefully be posting more regularly again.

Despite the lack of posts, I have still been working, and I have made some progress too.

Code for pipelining (a single connection) to the BOSH connection manager is roughly in place. My first message was sent through BOSH last week!

I do have a couple of problems, both of which I believe are down to Openfire's lack of full BOSH support.

SASL authentication will not work, because Openfire does not support the xmpp:restart attribute defined in XEP-0206. I have temporarily overcome this by disabling SASL authentication attempts in the simple client I am testing with. I will see how I can make the code backwards-compatible with the old HTTP binding in this respect*.

The second problem is that Openfire disconnects the client if it sends requests too frequently.

As I understand XEP-0124 however, if no requests are outstanding (and hence no way for the server to push data to the client) the server should allow a request within any amount of time. Although the latest version of the XEP is more clear about this, version 1.5 (on which Openfire's support is based) does not explicitly state it. As a result Openfire is being more restrictive than it should be. I intend to file a bug report for this.

My last problem was a bug I encountered in gloox (resulting in message replies not always getting sent), and it affected the test client I have that is using my BOSH class. It happens that the bug was already fixed, and simply merging with the latest gloox trunk fixed it.

My current and next tasks are to fix an intermittent segmentation fault, and an out-of-range exception (which I believe to be both related), and improve the handling of disconnecting from the server.

* This is not helped by Openfire currently reporting the wrong protocol version...

0 comments: