Thursday, May 31, 2007

First week of Summer of Code

The coding period of Google Summer of Code has officially started (since the 28th of May). A meeting was held on Tuesday for students and mentors working on Jabber projects.

So far...


The laptop


I have set up my new laptop for development, including development tools (subversion, SciTE), and server that I will be using to test my code against.

The server


I have chosen Openfire to be my reference server initially, although obviously I will be testing to ensure compatibility with all servers later on (just in case...). Openfire is easy to install and use, and includes XEP-0124 support by default.

Other implementations


I am interested in finding other clients or their developers that have XEP-0124 implemented already. It would help me make the final decisions this week about the way I will be implementing it. If you know something about it, or know someone who does, please contact me!

The code and protocol


Gloox thankfully already has a nice framework for adding new network-level connection methods. It is this way that HTTP proxy and SOCKS5 support has already been added. Thanks to Jakob's foresight it is also possible to chain multiple classes so that BOSH will be able to work though a SOCKS5 proxy, for example.

I need to create a class descended from ConnectionBase and write implementations of the pure functions from it. I will also have to descend from ConnectionDataHandler to parse the replies from the BOSH connection manager, before gloox is able to parse and handle the XML.

The main difficulty I have right now is deciding which BOSH parameters should be fixed in the implementation, and which should be configurable. I am also looking to see if I can make the connection degrade gracefully from HTTP pipelining to multiple connections, to polling, depending upon what is supported/available in the current environment.

Identifying possible client environments is also one of my tasks. This way I won't end up, for example, only supporting cases where the connection manager is at the same address as the XMPP server (which in the setup I will be testing with, it is).

From now on


I will be posting weekly updates to this blog, and I have decided I will aim for every Tuesday, before or after the weekly meeting. Watch this space!

PS. In the past couple of weeks I have seen BOSH spelt as BISH, NOSH and BOX. Stop it! :D

0 comments: